Sunday, November 2, 2014

one of my other obsessions: barn doors

Did I mention that I live in a small house with very little closet space and doors that open at weird angles?

The most awkward was the bathroom area that has a separate area for the vanity/sink and shower/toilet. The vanity/sink area has no door and sits outside the shower/toilet area which does have a door that opens outward toward the sink area.  No linen closet in either area and since the door opens outward toward the only free wall space, kinda awkward to put any type of storage cabinet there. 

Source:  JohnsonHardware.com

I contemplated installing pockets doors but the cost was prohibitive considering a wall would have to be opened up to accommodate the pocket frame for said door, studs cut and moved, etc. 

Then I laid eyes on sliding barn door hardware, well a diy that someone did here:

Source:  housetweaking.com


The author also provides a pretty easy tutorial to follow with respect to actually building the door. I found some inspiration from this but lost it a little when I started pricing the barn door hardware, WOW. Some of it was $200-$300 and the longer the track, the more it is. I had a pretty large space to cover, so back to slim pockets again. 

Doing some more online research I found this post that discussed purchasing barn door hardware at the local Tractor Supply.  I found that I was able to purchase everything I needed for around $75, so this would be the answer to the awkward bathroom door issue.  This was doable, despite not having power tools, I found out that a couple of our area home improvement stores will cut wood purchased there for customers. I decided to use tongue and groove paneling I liked the raw look of it and it was easy to work with.

The other area that had that "awkward door" thing going on was the kid's bedroom closet, very poorly designed, and a small room. This one we did using galvanized pipes and fittings...around $36 total since I re-purposed the existing door.

Source:  vintagerevivals.com
This was the inspiration posting for doing this in our home and, again, the local big box home improvement store was very helpful in cutting the pipe to the length that was needed, as well as re-threading the pipe after cutting it. I highly recommend trekking over to VintageRevivals.com's site and checking this out, once you get the pipes cut by the home improvement store it is an easy diy project that you can do with regular everyday tools.





No comments:

Post a Comment